Lifeguard Certification Classes
This certification course gives participants the skills and knowledge needed to be lifeguards in the pool. It offers up-to-date information on how to guard, anticipate and prevent problems and take action to help those in danger. It also covers safety and survival skills every swimmer needs to know, accident prevention, guarding techniques, emergency systems, rescue skills and first aid in aquatic environments.
With a lifeguarding certification, you can also become a swimming instructor or coach, as well as a lifeguard at the YMCA!
CPR for the Professional Rescuer
Blood Borne Pathogen Certification
- Must be at least 16 years old
- Able to swim 100 yards in 2 min
- Tread water for 2 min using legs only
- Surface dive to depth of 10 feet and swim 15 ft underwater
- Complete a 200 yard swim consisting of Front Crawl, Breaststroke, sidestroke and Elementary Backstroke w/ hands on chest
- Sprint 60 feet, perform head first surface dive to retrieve object 10 feet deep, tread water for 1 minute w/o hands, return object to depth of 10 feet, swim remainder of pool length, exit pool and perform 100 chest compressions on a mannequin.
- CPR for the Professional Rescuer
- First Aid
- Oxygen Administration
- Y lifeguarding
All ASHI e-learning must be complete by the first day of class. Y Lifeguard e-learning must be completed by assigned dates.